Salmon 2012

Salmon 2012

Monday, May 20, 2013

The Pond

I got in some fishing this weekend and have some more planned for one evening this week. 

The target over the weekend was bass and bluegill on the small pond near our home.  I can report that the population of largemouth bass made it through the winter in good shape.  They are paired up right now and cruising the shallows.  There is also no shortage of big gills in the pond.  The bass are pretty busy chasing the gills around and keeping them out of their territory, but I was able to get one smaller fish and several larger fish to eat.  The problem with the pond is landing them; they head straight for the weeds and brush.  The little, Eagle Claw Feather Light three weight makes for an exciting fight with these fish but you really can't muscle them too much.  One fish was so good that I actually threw the rod and had to spend a few moments walking it off.  It was great fun though. 

I have some trout time planned on a favorite local creek for Tuesday evening and plan on nymphing the thing to death.  If that doesn't work then I will bust out some small streamers and try move a fish that way.  I can't wait. 

The next issue is coming together very nicely at this point and I am only waiting on a couple of additional stories that should arrive this week.  I should be able to plug them into the mag in short order and put the next issue out there for the world to see in the beginning of June.  We are back on schedule with our third issue this year and it feels good.

I leave you with this photo of a nice gill and my Eagle Claw. 



I also leave you with this quote I recently received from a reader:


"Keep up the good work. It's nice to have a magazine about trout fishing in Michigan."


Live Free, Fish Hard






No comments:

Post a Comment