Salmon 2012

Salmon 2012

Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Back Issue Dilemma

I posted a back issue yesterday for everybody to take a look at.  I have been wanting to do this for some time and was able to do it through the Google/Blogger platform.  Pretty cool stuff. 

The general theory for a print publication these days is to be able to blend print and digital.  I think that we are moving in that direction.  However, there can be some drawbacks to this when your main product/business is a print magazine. 

The obvious dilemma with posting back issues electronically is that you could technically not buy a subscription and still read all the issues.  That isn't what I want.  However, I think we have enough back issues, going far enough back in time now to discourage this.  I can also control how often I post a back issue.  So, expect them to pop up from time to time but I have not set a schedule yet. 

It might be possible moving forward to have a separate digital issue but I have not fleshed that idea out totally yet and would be more work for sure and I am not sure what we could add for content. 

In my mind there are several parts to the marriage of print and digital.  You have to make the subscription available electronically to those who want to take advantage of that, you should have a blogging and social media presence, you should offer either partial or the whole contents of the magazine for electronic reading, and you should offer your advertisers a way to utilize digital advertising. 

I think we are doing all of these now.  You can subscribe electronically at the blog/site if you like, we have this blog and are keeping people up to date via the Facebooker, we now are able to post some back issues to read, and we continue to offer our advertisers the two for one deal with ads in the magazine and at the blog as our standard package.

The piece left for me to complete is re-directing the traffic from www.thecedarsweeper.com to the blog, basically turning the blog into a .com .  I have been unsuccessful with this but when I have some time between the next issues I will get some help for this. 

Now you know the plan for the mixing of print and digital.  I hope you will consider a subscription to the print magazine as that is where you will always be able to find the latest issue in your mailbox.  Don't site around and wait for the back issues because they will always be running at least two years behind and their posting will be random.  There is some good information in those issues though and it is fun to look through them. 



Live Free, Fish Hard

No comments:

Post a Comment