Salmon 2012

Salmon 2012

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bested Last Month and Have You Turned Your Back on Trout

The month isn't even over and we have bested the page views of last month (the previous best month ever) here at the blog.  I am certain that the mention over at the DailyCaller and the link that is now in the Oakland Press helped a little. 

This is all really great news because the more people that visit the blog and learn about The Cedar Sweeper the more the great community that is Michigan Fly Fishing grows.  We are reaching more people at the blog, in the facebooker, and with the magazine everyday. 

I am putting the finishing touches on the next issue and though I previously announced that we closed the ad space there is still time to get into this issue if you drop me a line fairly quickly.  We offer some of the best rates around with print and digital bundle that starts at $84 you can't go wrong.  So, if you are tyring to spread the word about your fly fishing product, business, or organization ... let us know how we can help. 

There is a very interesting post over at Gink and Gasoline today about turning your back on trout.  I have also noticed that people seem to be moving away from trout.  I take the fly fishing where I can get it just as the next guy probably does; however, I am always itching to get back to trout country.  I like the little creeks more now days with their little brookies and occasionally larger browns.  I know a little creek where you can catch the Michigan trout grand slam; a brookie, a brown, a resident rainbow, and a steelhead smolt all in the same day.  It has beauty beyond compare and I think I love that stream as much for its beauty and serenity as I do for the chance that it offers as the four fish. 

I don't do carp very much ... in fact I have never tried them on the fly.  I just can't bring myself to do it.  I admire that pike I caught through the ice more than I do a carp.  I will probably cave and come around though when pressed.  I love to fish for bass and bluegill with my fly rod in the summer and salmon in the fall.  But make no mistake, these are just passing affections.  I flat love trout fishing with a fly rod. 

There have been a couple of different posts going around at different sites that ask, "if you could fly fish with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?"  This one is easy.  I would fish with my father-in-law.  He wasn't really a fisherman but loved to eat them.  The way I picture it in my mind we would meet for the day on a great little trout stream, on with lots of brookies because for me they eat the best.  The stream I mentioned above would be a good one.  Dad would man the bank while I rounded up a couple of decent size brookies for a meal.  We could talk and catch up on things while I fished and I would take some breaks so we could throw back a couple of cold ones and maybe a shot of good brandy.  Then we cold share a meal of brook trout that I caught and he cooked, have one last drink together, and say our goodbyes. 

He would fade back into the woods and I would go home, or maybe just back to a camp on the river so that I could fish for trout the next day as well. 




Live Free, Fish Hard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment